18 September 2009

Beginnings in Sugarcraft

I've spent the past two months working on various projects in my pastry class, all of which added up to a final presentation and grade. Last night was our final night, where we had to present five of our creations in an attractive display: wedding cake, pastillage showpiece, sugar showpiece, chocolate box, and a fresh-made mousse cake. (Be sure to click all the images to see them larger.)

The Wedding Cake

As I'm sure you already know, my wedding cake was the mermaid cake I wrote about not too long ago. Since they were foam forms, we were able to keep them for the past few weeks until the final.

The Pastillage Showpiece

I have already written about this too, but only had some crappy cell phone pictures to show you. Now I was able to take some better ones with my real camera!
pastillage showpiece - butterfly closeup pastillage showpiece pastillage showpiece - butterfly closeup


The Sugar Showpiece

The sugar showpiece was to be an underwater scene made entirely of sugar. The base, water, seaweed, and coral were made of poured sugar (boil it to horrendous temperatures and pour into various things for different effects). The pumice was made of rock sugar (boil sugar and add a spoonful of royal icing at a certain temperature to make it all foamy). The fish and jellyfish were made of isomalt, which was blown and pulled for various effects. Unfortunately, most of my jellyfish's tentacles broke off. :(
sugar showpiece sugar showpiece sugar showpiece


The Chocolate Box

The chocolate box was made completely out of chocolate, which we tempered the hard way - on a marble slab. :P The decorations on top were piped onto plastic and very carefully glued on with chocolate (and the help of some awesome chef's grade canned air stuff to freeze the chocolate solid very quickly).
chocolate box chocolate box


The Mousse Cake - Night and Fire

For the mousse cake, we had a few different ones to choose from. I chose this one because, well, I like it! The bottom is a pistachio genoise, the middle is a chocolate hazelnut mousse, and the top is a raspberry mousse. It's topped of with a thin layer of raspberry glaze, wrapped in some more tempered chocolate, and decorated with some of my leftover chocolate decorations (from the box) and strawberries (because we were all out of raspberries - boo!).
night and fire mousse cake night and fire mousse cake


All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the way things turned out, although everything could have been a lot better. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment