15 November 2009

For Fun & Practice

This past week I went to class not only during nights like usual, but also two days during the morning classes. The morning class was working on sugar this week, so I got to practice with that some more. In the beginning, I didn't really like working with sugar (it's hot and finicky), but now that I've got the hang of it, I'm really starting to enjoy it. On Thursday, my instructor did a demo on how to make a bird with sugar, so I made one too! I followed his general demos, but changed things up a bit to suit my tastes. Here's the results:

pulled sugar bird pulled sugar bird - plumage closeup


And in my normal (night) class, when we finished up with the dessert buffet, my teacher made us practice our piping (again). This time I decided to try and appeal to what they really want us to do (instead of something I find more fun, like my mermaid cake). My teacher was pleased. I actually think my piping is getting a lot better. I took a picture for later reference when we have to make a cake to go on top of our croquembouches in a couple weeks.

piping practice

No comments:

Post a Comment