14 March 2010

World of Warcraft's Delicious Chocolate Cake

Premises and Promises

In order to bridge the gap between World of Warcraft and my kitchen, I've decided to embark on a new endeavor to make WoW food in real life. That is to say that I will be taking in-game recipes and attempting to recreate them in my own kitchen.

There will, of course, be a certain amount of improvisation on my part, in order to make some of these (unrealistic) recipes work; however, I do intend to stick as closely to the game recipes as possible. As time goes on, I also intend to branch out into recipes from other video games, but in the beginning it will be purely WoW items. If there's one you'd like to suggest, please send me a PM.

Blizzard's Delicious Chocolate Cake

Delicious Chocolate Cake

I figured that a good place to start would be with a popular item from Burning Crusade days - the Delicious Chocolate Cake. (Since I am a pastry chef, I intend to stick to the baked goods, but we'll see where things go in the future.)

Recipe Assessment

Delicious Chocolate Cake - recipe
Things to note about this recipe:
  • Simple Flour, not cake flour - this means the cake will be light and fluffy.
  • Ice Cold Milk - this means the cake will be rich, especially in ratio to the flour
  • Mild Spices - perhaps this could be the chocolate? I'm not sure what to use for this.
  • Small Egg - high ratio of eggs-to-flour. This cake will be rich and thick after all.
  • Flask of Port - quite a large amount of alcohol, although this could be tasty.
  • Mageroyal - this could be lumped into the spices, or add an accent to the chocolate.
  • There is no chocolate listed in the ingredients. Interesting.
  • There is no sugar listed in the ingredients. Also interesting.
  • There are berries in the picture (below) but not in the recipe. Heh.

Image Assessment

The first thing that I noticed is the icon doesn't look anything like a chocolate cake. It looks like white cake with some sort of berry filling and green goo on top. I could decorate it to look like that, but let's see what the item looks like in-game.

Delicious Chocolate Cake - whole Delicious Chocolate Cake - slice

So in-game, the actual item looks (or is presumed to look) more like a chocolate cake with some berries on top. I'll shoot for this model because it seems more fitting for the name anyhow.

Kelley's Delicious Chocolate Cake

Now that I'd seen what the original recipe and cake look like, it was time for me to recreate this in my own kitchen. I decided to do this in the style used by Mythbusters. I'd make one cake using the exact recipe from the game (substituting spices/mageroyal as I see fit). Then I'd make another cake using the recipe but expanding it to make it an actual delicious chocolate cake.

Translated WoW Recipe

  • 8x Simple Flour = 2 cups flour (assuming 1 part = 1/4 cup)
  • 4x Ice Cold Milk = 1 cup milk (assuming 1 part = 2 tbsp)
  • 4x Mild Spices = 4 tbsp cocoa (assuming spices = chocolate)
  • 8x Small Egg = 4 extra-large eggs (cause who can find small eggs?)
  • Flask of Port = 1/2 cup port wine
  • 3x Mageroyal =1 tsp lavender (it's a flower, at least!)
I decided to go for the normal (non-French) mixing style and just mix the wet ingredients and then add the dry ingredients. The batter turned out looking pretty good.
Blizzard's Delicious Chocolate Cake - batter

I was a bit leery, however, that the recipe called for four eggs, but no leavening of any sort. Would the cake rise?
Blizzard's Delicious Chocolate Cake - baked Blizzard's Delicious Chocolate Cake - baked & sliced

That's right, folks. The cake came out very flat and very dense.

So dense, in fact, that I decided to use it as a makiwara.
cake turned makiwara

It barely rose, meaning the final cake was about 1.5 inches in thickness. It had barely any flavor (thanks to there being no sugar in the recipe, Blizzard).

So. Almost total fail. Next it was time to try this with some revisions, because by now it was clear that I needed a real delicious chocolate cake.

Kelley's Revised Recipe

  • 8x Simple Flour = 1.75 cups flour
  • 4x Ice Cold Milk = 1 cup milk
  • 4x Mild Spices = .75 cup cocoa, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking soda
  • 8x Small Egg = 2 extra-large eggs + .5 cup vegetable oil
  • Flask of Port = 1/2 cup port wine + 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3x Mageroyal =1 tsp lavender (it's a flower, at least!)
  • MISSING SUGAR = 2 cups sugar
As you can see, I altered the recipe to include some leavening, some sugar, and a slight alteration of wet-to-dry ratio. I also replaced some of the flour with more cocoa. The batter turned out nice and dark, and had a bit more volume than the first recipe.
Kelley's Delicious Chocolate Cake - batter

The cakes rose beautifully, and I had no trouble at all removing them from the rings.
Kelley's Delicious Chocolate Cake - baked

I baked two cakes and cut them both in half in order to stack them. I used three for stacking and the other for tasting. The cake was chocolatey and moist, but the port was a bit... odd. I knew I would need a very tasty frosting in order to even out the flavors. And I was glad that the images showed berries on the cake, too.

The Delicious Chocolate Cake

I decided to use a chocolate fudge frosting to fill between the layers and on the top. I also used sliced strawberries in between the layers, and halved strawberries to garnish the top of the cake.
Kelley's Delicious Chocolate Cake - complete Kelley's Delicious Chocolate Cake - complete

So, the cake looked pretty, and actually rather WoW-ish. But... would it taste good? I sliced a piece and gave it a taste. The fudge frosting and strawberries were actually pretty perfect for balancing out the flavors. Yay~!
Kelley's Delicious Chocolate Cake - sliced Kelley's Delicious Chocolate Cake - sliced

Final Thoughts

Blizzard was on the right track with this recipe, but in actuality, it didn't turn out so well. Hint: if you're going to use the word delicious in the name of your cake, you had better put some sugar in it. I'd also recommend leaving the port wine out, and replacing it with something more tasty, like coffee or maybe even some KahlĂșa -- and less of it.

Oh, and by the way -- yes, it's completely gluten-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment