22 May 2010

Strawberry Pie

Well, I've been on this weird strawberry kick lately. After making strawberry icing for some chocolate cupcakes, and then strawberry cupcakes (sorry, no pics or blogs about those), my next adventure was a strawberry pie.

I borrowed this lovely recipe for the pie crust and changed it up to suit me. Well, by "changing it up" I mean that I substituted in my gluten-free flour. I also decided to do the first part of the process in my food processor since I don't have a pastry cutter, then did the second part as specified in the recipe. The dough turned out great!

I then borrowed this recipe for the pie filling. It looked so yummy before it was even baked!

Strawberry Pie - before baking

As the pie was busy baking, I noticed that it looked gorgeous and the crust smelled SO GOOD - like puff pastry!

strawberry pie in the oven

But after a while, I thought I smelled something burning. Indeed, the pie has burst somehow, and spilled all over the place! It has oozed out sweet red goo all over the tray I set it on and and overflowed down into the bottom of the oven, which was now busy bubbling like molten lava.

what a mess! :(

Yes, folks, my oven actually caught on fire. Luckily, my boyfriend knows how to use a fire extinguisher, and I happen to have one under the sink in my kitchen, so he quickly came to the rescue. Gosh, what a mess!

what a mess :(

I inspected the pie to see what caused the damage. All I can guess is that I didn't seal the crust well enough on this spot. Boo.

burst open

Luckily, the pie wasn't a total failure. It didn't get to cook is as long as specified, so it was still a bit runny inside. However, my boyfriend says it's delicious (I haven't even gotten to taste it yet).

gluten-free strawberry pie gluten-free strawberry pie

No comments:

Post a Comment