19 August 2009

Practicing with Pastillage

crappy cell phone picture of my pastillage showpiece crappy cell phone picture of my pastillage showpiece


This semester I am taking the level 3 pastry class, which basically boils down to fancy decoration techniques (and some mousse cakes). We spent several days working on these pastillage showpieces. Pastillage is a sugar sculpting paste that is a lot harder than fondant, and not quite as elastic as gum paste.

We made the pastillage. We cut, shaped, and cleaned all the pieces. Then we had to airbrush them (and on the butterflies we did some drawing with a black marker and scratching away with an x-acto). Then we melted some sugar down to a goo that looked like hot glue, and we used it to stick all of the pieces together.

It was a lot of fun, but I wish I had realized the creative freedom he was actually allowing us, because I would have done a lot more colors on mine. Oh well! Oh, and please excuse the horrendous quality of the images, but I had to take the photos with my phone.

crappy cell phone picture of my pastillage showpiece crappy cell phone picture of my pastillage showpiece crappy cell phone picture of my pastillage showpiece

No comments:

Post a Comment