07 September 2009

Vertical Layer Cake - First Try

Gluten-Free Mint Chocolate Cake with Vertical Layers


Have you seen Dimitrana's gorgeous cakes? I know, they're fantastic. And when I saw all of her incredible vertically layered cakes, I knew I had to give the technique a try.

I wanted to make a quick go of it, and concentrate on the technique, not the fanciness of the ingredients. So, I was excited to find that my local Super Target had a full stock of the new Betty Crocker gluten-free baking mixes! I chose the devil's food cake mix, and a couple of gluten-free frostings.

The cake is chocolate, of course, and I bought a white icing which I spiked with peppermint extract and green coloring. It was light, fluffy, and creamy, which was what I wanted... but that also made it slippery and a bit difficult to wrap into the swirly cake construction. After putting it together and refrigerating for a while, I iced it with the chocolate frosting and decorated with a bit of green frosting ( and some of the leftover mint cream).

My family loved it, and I was very pleased with the new Betty Crocker cake mix! As you can see, however, I still have some work to do regarding the structure of the cake layers. It was fun, though! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment