03 August 2010

CMYKake

Some of you may know what a big fan of colors I am. In fact, I even have the additive and subtractive color spectrums tattooed on my backs on my wrists. So it should come as no surprise that I was inspired to create a CMYK cake!

My plan was something like this:

But, as usual, my plan didn't come to fruition as fabulously as I hoped. However, it did turn out better than I expected, after a few setbacks.

The cake is entirely gluten-free and has SO MANY components that it actually took me three days to complete. And I had to re-bake the lemon cake because I didn't put enough baking powder in the first batch. Darnit! My process went something like this:

DAY 1
  • raspberry curd
  • lemon curd
  • blueberry puree
DAY 2
  • lemon cake
  • raspberry cake
  • blueberry cake
  • chocolate cake
  • chocolate ganache frosting (yes, the black is chocolate!)
DAY 3
  • re-bake lemon cake
  • blueberry Italian meringue
  • assemble and frost cake

By the end of it, I have to admit that I was rather exhausted, which would explain the not-perfectly-evenly-cut cake layers (resulting in the angled top) and the not-perfectly-smoothed frosting job. In the end, it looks cool, but it could have used a lot more filling in between the layers to make it taste better. Darn.

No comments:

Post a Comment